For any beginner golfer looking to step up his/her game, then golf lessons are a great investment. Some might even say that they are a must. Learning a new sport can be challenging, to say the least. Golf, with all of its rules and techniques, can be especially tricky to learn, which is why hiring a professional can really help you to get your game going and become a better player.
So if you are a beginner golfer and looking to take golf lessons, how much will it cost you? What type of investment are you looking at to learn the ins and outs of golf and become a better player all around? Well, there are simple answers to this question and there are more in-depth answers.
Even if you aren’t looking to become the next Tiger Woods, it still stands that you are probably looking for something to give you a good grasp on the game, techniques used, and to make you an overall better player. In this article, we will take a look at what should be included in golf lessons and how much golf lessons should cost you. Let’s get started.
What Should Be Included in Golf Lessons?
Golf lessons can be several different things. For a beginner who simply wants to learn the game, they will be a bit less intense. However, for someone looking to improve their game and play competitively, that is a different story. Nonetheless, here are some things that all golf lessons should include:
- They should focus on various techniques for different swings (i.e. fairway swings, putting, chopping, etc.). These should also include tips on preparation (mentally and physically) and being tournament ready.
- Golf lessons should be given by a professional or a certified instructor.
- You should be able to take lessons that are customized to your level. For example, there should be beginner, intermediate, and advanced level lessons so that anyone can participate without it either being too difficult or not challenging enough.
- An ample amount of practice time mixed in with lecture time (or time to talk about techniques and strategies of the game).
What Factors Can Weigh in on the Price of a Lesson?
Of course, not all golf lessons are created equal. You will pay more for certain types of lessons and there are several things that attribute to the cost. Here, we will take a look at some of the factors that will play a part in how much golf lessons will cost.
- Private vs. Group Lessons: Whether or not you decide to take individual or group lessons will depend a lot on what your goal is.
- Individual lessons are aimed at improving your game all around and the instructor can focus all their attention on you and your golf game. Some private instructors will also include video footage that will help to analyze your form, techniques, etc. Individual lessons can be anywhere from 30 minutes up and can happen as frequently as you’d like. Typically a private lesson will range from around $25 for half an hour to $100 or more for an hour.
- Group lessons can be advantageous, but you must be sure to find a group that has a similar level to yours. Of course, the more people in your group, the more time will be spent on general information rather than your individual techniques. Some people opt for group lessons because they are a bit less expensive than individual lessons and perhaps they simply want to learn the basics of golf. Typically, group lessons are around ⅔ the price of individual lessons (What It Costs). According to Cost Helper, “A package of six sessions for two golfers is around $450 for hour-long sessions ($37.50 per session), but the price drops to $25 per golfer for a group of five that buys six hour-long sessions for a total of $750.”
- Duration of Lesson: How long you want your lesson for will have a direct impact on the price. Typically, lessons are offered for 30 minutes, 40 minutes, or an hour. Obviously, the more time spent on your lesson, the more expensive the lesson will be.
- Experience of Instructor: Every instructor should be experienced, but some have more experience than others. Oftentimes, instructors are pros that give lessons in their spare time. Sometimes, you may even get a well-known pro as an instructor (and they will cost quite a bit more than someone else).
- The Facility: Some golf instructors work at specific courses/clubs. If the club/course is more luxurious and nicer than some others, then you will probably be looking at a higher price range than on a regular old course.
- Single Lesson or Multiple Lessons: Sometimes you can find lessons at a discounted price if you sign up for multiple lessons rather than just one. For example, if you sign up for one one-hour lesson, you may get charged $100. However, if you sign up for 6 one-hour lessons, you could only pay around $450 (this depends on the club and expert you are signing up through, of course).
There are several other things that will contribute to what you will pay for golf lessons. What you are willing to spend will typically result in the type of lessons you will receive. If you want to get a little more personal and work on your individual techniques and skills, then you should probably take up individual lessons. However, if you simply want a better understanding of the game, then group lessons might be better and more affordable for you.
The average cost of a golf lesson is anywhere from $25 - $60 for a 30 or 45-minute lesson and around $75 - $100 an hour (or more) for an hour-long lesson. You need to decide what your end goal is and that will help you decide what type of lesson is right for you. Also, consider your budget and what you would like to pay. From there, you can shop around and find the best deal.
If you are ready to take the plunge and learn to play a rewarding sport, then our coaches are ready to work with you. Both of our esteemed coaches have won multiple awards in Australian golf coaching and are highly qualified instructors. These two coaches are the most accomplished golf professionals in the area, so you can learn from the best of the best.
Our professional golf instructors are Richard Woodhouse and Grant Field. You can visit their profiles to view more information regarding their specific accomplishments. At these links, you can also request to chat with them in order to set up an initial appointment for lessons.