How Many Golf Clubs Are In A Set?
A set of golf clubs is one of the most important pieces of equipment you’ll need in order to learn the game and become a better player. That being said, golf clubs come in different shapes and sizes, but there are certain structures that they will always adhere to. According to official USGA rules, you are allowed to carry up to 14 clubs in your set.
This doesn’t mean that you have to carry 14 clubs. You can carry less than 14, but no more. That being said, there is no specific rule that states exactly what clubs you must use. This is up to your ability and skill level. This allows you the freedom to pick and choose according to which clubs bring out your best game.
Every golfer should try out different types of clubs to see which work best for them and which don’t. As you build your golf club set, you should choose the clubs that work the best in your situation and for your golf game. Every golf pro out there started from somewhere and has changed clubs numerous times throughout their golfing career. That being said, you have to start from scratch and really feel things out. See which golf clubs work best for your style and build your golf club set from that.
So what types of clubs are included in your set, and how many of them? Let’s take a look at some different types of golf clubs that you could invest in and how many of each you should have.
Types and Number of Golf Clubs in a Set
The typical golf club set includes a driver, a couple of fairway woods, a few irons, some wedges (or specialty irons), and a putter.
- Driver: This is the longest club in the set and has the lowest loft. This makes it one of the more difficult clubs to master. In a typical golf club set, there is only one driver. These clubs are typically used for particular tee shots, so there is no need for more than one.
- Fairway Woods: For beginner players, one 3 wood is probably enough for your set. A 3 wood can take the place of a driver in some cases, though having both in your set is probably a good idea. For more experienced golfers, a 5 wood might also be a great addition to the collection. For some, one fairway wood is enough, but some golfers with a higher skill level may have 2 in the set.
- Irons: Irons make up the majority of golf clubs in a set. A traditional complete set of clubs includes a 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 iron. However, in recent years, irons have changed and many provide more distance. Because of this, many more experienced golfers decide to eliminate the 3 and 4 irons from their collections and replace them with hybrid clubs.
- Hybrids: These have become very popular with beginners and advanced players. They provide the accuracy and distance of long irons, but they are much easier to use. If a player replaces a 3 and 4 iron, they might add a 3, 4, 5, and 6 hybrid to their golf club set.
- Wedges: These clubs are designed for a specific purpose and a high loft. A complete set of clubs usually includes two wedges, a pitching wedge (used close to the green) and a sand wedge (used in fairway bunkers and sand traps). Some golfers may add a gap wedge to their set as well, and sometimes a lob wedge is included too.
- Putters: A set of golf clubs is not complete without a putter. These clubs are designed for closer shots. Using the putter will keep the ball on the ground rather than lofting it. There are several types of putters available, but usually only one is included in a set of golf clubs.
As you can see, there are several types of golf clubs that make a set complete. Again, you do not have to have 14 clubs in your set, but you can have up to that amount. Let’s take a look at what a typical beginner and advanced player’s golf club sets would look like.
A Beginner Golf Club Set
If you are a beginner and just learning the game, then this may be what your golf club set includes (according to IvyGolf):
- 1 Driver
- 1 3-Wood
- 1 3-Hybrid
- 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 Irons
- 1 Pitching Wedge
- 1 Sand Wedge
- 1 Putter
Of course, this all depends on your personal taste and what clubs help your game the most. Now, if you are a more advanced golfer, then your golf club set might look like this:
- 1 Driver
- 1 3-Wood
- 1 5-Wood
- 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 Irons
- 1 Pitching Wedge
- 1 Sand Wedge
- 1 Lob Wedge
- 1 Putter
With so many different types of clubs to choose from and so many different levels of golfers, the choice is up to you as to how many clubs you have and which ones you choose. However, no matter the club, Back 2 Basics can help you find exactly what you need.
Whether you are just starting out and are learning the ins and outs of the game, or you are a PGA pro golfer and need the best equipment possible to ensure that your game is on point, Back 2 Basics can help with your every golfing need. Check out their apparel and golfing equipment today and get ready to be a great golfer.
Visit Back 2 Basics today and get your golf game off to a good start!
Are you an avid golfer? Or perhaps you are just starting out and looking for the right apparel and equipment to do so. Back 2 Basics Golf has exactly what you need, whether you’re a seasoned vet or a beginner. Our putting mirrors, apparel, and accessories are just what you need to get out on the course and enjoy a day of golfing.
Not sure where to begin? Let us help! Every good golfer needs a few staples before getting started. Let’s take a look at some of the articles we have for you.
When starting out at a new sport, one must practice first. After all, practice makes perfect. Our putting mirrors are made of the highest quality and are sure to create an excellent stroke. A putting mirror is a training aid used to help golfers get a feel for the proper alignment when putting. It is an extremely useful tool, especially for those who are newer to the game.
If you are looking for high quality golfing apparel, then you’ve come to the right place. Back 2 Basics Golf offers you the best style and comfort possible for your day out on the green. The best way to feel good on the green is to look good, and we can help you with that!
With a wide selection of styles to choose from, you will be looking your best while doing your best. All of our apparel is made of the best quality fabrics and is sure to last you a long time. Check out our wide selection of polos for the course, or our great fleece jackets and joggers. We want you to go out there with confidence and style.
Besides regular golf clothing, we offer a variety of accessories to take with you out on the green. Our selection of caps and visors are perfect to keep the sun out of your eyes as you are taking your shots. Also, for colder weather golfing, our beanie is perfect for keeping your head warm and cozy. Our drawstring bag is an excellent choice as you don’t want to weigh down your pockets while putting.
Back 2 Basics Golf will do just as its name says: take you back to the basics. If you are heading out on the course, be sure to check out our great selection before you go.