How Long Does It Take To Play A Round Of Golf?
Are you a golfer and looking to fit in a quick round before getting to your other obligations? Or perhaps you aren’t much of a golfer and are curious how long it takes to complete a full round? So, how long does it take to play a round of golf?
If you are considering getting in a very quick round of golf before heading to a previously scheduled activity, then you may want to make sure you give yourself a good amount of time, as most rounds of golf can’t be played in just a couple of hours. So how can you know exactly how long a round of golf will take? Well, the simple answer is: you can’t.
However, in this post, we are going to look at some factors that contribute to the length of a round of golf so that you are able to make an educated guess about the amount of time it will take you to get through a round of golf. Of course, things change and don’t always work out how you expect them to, so again, if you have prior plans, make sure to allot enough time between activities! Let’s take a look at how to gauge how long it takes to play a round of golf.
Factors To Determine How Long It Will Take To Golf 18 Holes
Now, just a reminder that we cannot predict the future and that things come up, but if you take each of these factors into consideration, you may be able to figure out how long it takes to play a round of golf.
- How busy is the golf course? If you are playing on an empty course, odds are you will be able to move through at a quick pace. However, if the course you are playing on is a high traffic course, then you will probably get backed up and wait for quite a while at the tee box to even start play for that hole. This can slow down the pace of play and cause your round to last anywhere from 4 to 6 hours depending on just how busy the course is.
- How big is the group you are playing with? If you are a lone golfer and enjoy playing a round by yourself, then you can finish up a round in a matter of a couple of hours (if the course isn’t too busy). However, many people enjoy playing golf with friends. Think of it this way: playing alone is quicker than playing with another person, and playing with a foursome will take (around) 4 times as long on each hole as it would if it were just you. Of course, that is just an estimate as some players are faster than others.
- How difficult is the course? If a course is wide open with very few hazards will take much less time than a course that has quite a bit of rough and more hazards. Of course, this will also be dependent on the golfers’ skill levels, but for the most part, you can judge the amount of time it will take you by how difficult (or easy) the course is.
- Are you walking through the course or riding in a cart? Believe it or not, driving or riding in a golf cart can save a lot of time on a round of golf. The distance between holes can sometimes be rather far and finding lost balls is must quicker in a cart. Walking a course can take up to five hours to get through the round, whereas riding can cut that time down to 3 ½ to 4 hours on average.
- What is the skill level of the players? This is one of the biggest factors when it comes to how long it takes to play a round of golf. This, coupled with the difficulty of the course, can be the difference in a 3 hour round and a 5 hour round. If you and the other players you are playing with are beginner golfers, then it will more than likely take you a bit longer to finish a round than it would were you professionals or highly skilled golfers with more experience.
Most experts will agree that the average time it will take you to play 18 holes of golf as a foursome is around 4 hours (some say 3 hours and 47 minutes, so give or take). Again, this will depend on a number of factors. But what if you don’t have that amount of time? Well, there are a few things you can do to speed up your rate of play. Let’s take a look at what they are.
How Can You Speed up a Round of Golf?
While not everything can be planned ahead, there are a few things you can do that will get you on and off the course a bit quicker than 4 hours if you have somewhere you need to be. Here are some ideas:
- Ride instead of walk. Riding instead of walking can reduce the time in between each hold, as well as shave off time if you lose a ball. You can play a faster round and be on your way to your next meeting or engagement in no time.
- Play less holes. Most people think of a round as 18 holes. However, there is no rule stating that you are required to play all 18. You can play 9 holes instead and be on your way. Playing fewer holes will most certainly cut down on the time it takes you to finish your round, therefore getting you to where you need to be on time.
However long it takes you to play a round of golf, remember that Back 2 Basics has all of your golfing needs covered. Any and all equipment needed for your golf game are available to you by Back 2 Basics, whether you are a beginner or a pro.
Are you an avid golfer? Or perhaps you are just starting out and looking for the right apparel and equipment to do so. Back 2 Basics Golf has exactly what you need, whether you’re a seasoned vet or a beginner. Our putting mirrors, apparel, and accessories are just what you need to get out on the course and enjoy a day of golfing.
Not sure where to begin? Let us help! Every good golfer needs a few staples before getting started. Let’s take a look at some of the articles we have for you.
When starting out at a new sport, one must practice first. After all, practice makes perfect. Our putting mirrors are made of the highest quality and are sure to create an excellent stroke. A putting mirror is a training aid used to help golfers get a feel for the proper alignment when putting. It is an extremely useful tool, especially for those who are newer to the game.
If you are looking for high quality golfing apparel, then you’ve come to the right place. Back 2 Basics Golf offers you the best style and comfort possible for your day out on the green. The best way to feel good on the green is to look good, and we can help you with that!
With a wide selection of styles to choose from, you will be looking your best while doing your best. All of our apparel is made of the best quality fabrics and is sure to last you a long time. Check out our wide selection of polos for the course, or our great fleece jackets and joggers. We want you to go out there with confidence and style.
Besides regular golf clothing, we offer a variety of accessories to take with you out on the green. Our selection of caps and visors are perfect to keep the sun out of your eyes as you are taking your shots. Also, for colder weather golfing, our beanie is perfect for keeping your head warm and cozy. Our drawstring bag is an excellent choice as you don’t want to weigh down your pockets while putting.
Back 2 Basics Golf will do just as its name says: take you back to the basics. If you are heading out on the course, be sure to check out our great selection before you go.